Wednesday, January 5, 2011

PoC Reading Challenge

"PoC" stands for Persons of Color, and the challenge is to read a goal number of books about PoC characters, and you can find the original site here. I'm really excited for this challenge, since I think there's a frightening lack of diversity in the YA market, and we need to do everything we can to encourage diverse characters and discourage white-washing.  Sadly, since this is the third challenge I signed up for, I'm aiming kind of low to start out, but I hope to highly exceed my expectations.

I'm starting out at Level 1: 1-3 books, and I'll be picking from the list below.


Lucy's multi-cultural book montage


The Ice Cream Girls
Hard Love
Escaping the Tiger
When the Stars Go Blue
The Latte Rebellion
A Map of Home
Rain Is Not My Indian Name
Finding My Place
If You Come Softly
The First Part Last
His Own Where
Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-hop Culture
Little Paradise
Other
Girl Overboard



Lucy's favorite books »

No comments:

Post a Comment