Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Moving On Up

Welcome to the new home of Adventures in Bookland! I decided to move my blog for a few different reasons.

1 - I wanted the title to appear in the url, instead of my initials
2 - I wanted to differentiate my review self from my professional self
3 - I wanted to learn Blogger

I'm going to talk for a bit about this last reason. I love Wordpress and actually much prefer it to Blogger, at least for the internal controls. It's just so much easier to do everything you want, and to control everything from a meta level. However, there are a few key things which Wordpress can't do, and they were important enough for me to switch over.

One of the things Wordpress can't do is use the Google Follow widget. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that most reviewers right now use Blogger, and thus the Google Follow feature, and it's pretty much becoming the standard. But also, Wordpress won't allow flash or much programing in its widgets, which also means things like Goodreads bookshelves won't show up no matter what you do. I think if you get a paid account, you can use more of these features, but it wasn't worth it to me at this point. I weighed my options, and I'm happy with my choice.

So, if you're think of starting a review blog, go with Blogger. But if you're looking to set up a personal website (perhaps as an author), definitely go with Wordpress, it's much easier to use and has a lot more control. However, Blogger does have a more versatile design program, but it's not perfect. I would have definitely stayed with Wordpress has it offered all the widgets I needed.

So, welcome to the new site! I'm still working on getting my Archived set up, but most everything else in functional!

No comments:

Post a Comment